If you can’t find a little breaker on the outlet, check your fuse/breaker box. Sometimes the GFCI is placed in there or its possible that the breaker for that circuit has simply tripped. Finally, double check to make sure the outlet isn’t actually on. Plug a little lamp into it to check.

What would cause an outdoor outlet to stop working?

Tripped circuit breakers are most often caused by a circuit overload or a short circuit from a device that is plugged into a circuit. If you notice that this is the issue, the best option is to call a professional electrician to remedy the issue.

How do I dry out an outdoor electrical outlet?

Dry out the wet electrical outlet

For minor water damage, either allow the outlets to dry overnight or use a blow dryer to expedite the process. It is recommended not to use the outlet until an electrician has assessed it. It is best to replace an outlet that has suffered significant water damage.

Are outdoor outlets safe in rain?

Yes, you can safely use electrical appliances outside while it’s raining (assuming you are under cover, such as in an outdoor kitchen/dining area), as long as you have a waterproof cover in place.

What happens if electrical outlet gets wet?

Water can act as a conductor of electricity. In the event that you ever touch one of these outlets when there’s water inside it, it’s likely that you will suffer from an electric shock, which can be severe. The most common injury associated with an electric shock is a burn.

What happens if electrical panel gets wet?

Moisture that enters the panel can corrode electrical wiring and circuit breakers and even rust the bottom and inside of the panel box. If water leaks into the service panel over time, chalky-white corrosion can build up on the screw terminals inside the box.

Are outdoor plugs waterproof?

Outdoor electrical outlets differ from indoor outlets because they have watertight covers that protect the outlet even with a cord plugged in. Plus, the National Electrical Code requires all outdoor outlets to be GFCI outlets (ground fault circuit interrupter outlets).

What happens if an outdoor extension cord gets wet?

But do you know what really happens if an extension cord gets wet? Water exposed to the live electrical current in the wires of the extension cord can cause it to stop working properly and pose a risk of fire or electrocution.